Re: [OM] Exposure Was: raw vs JPG Was:No E-System pro camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Exposure Was: raw vs JPG Was:No E-System pro camera
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 06:58:07 -0400
I don't know about center-weighted but, as pointed out in one of your
links, the origin of ESP metering (just an inner and outer zone in the
OM-40/PC) makes it clear that ESP was designed to increase exposure to
fix backlit subjects in the center of the field.  Some correspondents
were complaining that it caused blown highlights.  Not a surprise since
its intention was to fill shadow without using flash.  The contrastier
the light the greater the chance of blowing the highlights.

My view of focusing using all-target mode is that I have no idea why
such a mode even exists.  Why would you hand over all focus control to
the camera which has no idea what it's looking at or what is important?

Just when I thought I might have convinced you to solve white balance
problems by leaving the camera set at "daylight" (because it's just like
shooting film) you comment that, according to the URLs listed (and
others) you should be paying a lot more attention to white balance.
None of the URLs you have listed in this message make any mention of
white balance.

Chuck Norcutt