Re: [OM] Question for E-1 Users

Subject: Re: [OM] Question for E-1 Users
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 08:49:07 -0500
Joel wrote:

> Also it is much easier to focus Tele lenses than WA -- which is also true
> of
> OM cameras and screens.  Matte screens are terrible for focusing WA
> lenses IMO.

I would clarify this by saying that the 2-4 and 2-13 screens for the OM are
specifically troublesome for wide-angle focusing. The 1-4 and 1-13 (among
others) is just peachy.  I have found that the 2-series is particularily
troublesome with 35mm focal length.  The bokeh in the 2-series screen is
mechanical looking due to the fine microprism design of the screen. The
2-series screens have no matte surface to speak off, it's entirely
microprism. The 1-series screens mentioned above utilize a true ground-glass
type of surface which responds organically to the image being projected on
it.

And that's the main point here.  The old-style screens had the image project
on its surface, whereas the newer-style screens the image is projecting
through the surface.  For artistic interpretitive work, I always preferred
using the older screens, but prefer the 2-series screens for most
professional work.

Good luck with your decision.  The E-1 is still pretty unique, though
> it is improved upon in most ways by the E-3.  I think the thing that
> is apt to be the biggest disappointment would be the physical size of
> the LCD and the limitation on magnification during playback.

The issue with the playback image is that you are looking at a reduced-size
JPEG image--even when you are shooting RAW. The JPEG thumbnail is processed
with the settings used when the file was saved. This includes sharpening.
If you have the sharpening turned way down the thumbnail is pretty fuzzy and
worthless for judging focus, camera-movement, etc.  So, if you are shooting
RAW files, you can crank the sharpening up to maximum. This will give you a
much more accurate representation of the file.  However, DO NOT do this when
shooting in-camera JPEGs.  I highly recommend that you keep the sharpness
setting set to "0" and do all your image sharpening as a final step in post.

AG