Re: [OM] CA

Subject: Re: [OM] CA
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 22:44:14 +0200
Hi Mike and all,

From: usher99@xxxxxxx
>Kinda liked the below explanation of terms.  The CV 125/2.5 Apo-Lanthar
>shows some CA in in the foreground OOF area if there is a sharp edge of
>contrast at 1:1 esp if on the Mirex T-S adapter. Perhaps this is a special
>OOF CA.

Most likely longitudinal CA -- unlike lateral colour, basically impossible
to correct via software :-(

>APO  clearly does not = NO CA under all conditions.

Absolutely -- just a better degree of correction.

<http://toothwalker.org/optics/chromatic.html>

A very interesting site... it however lacks an explanation of
spherochromatism -- the variation of spherical aberration against
wavelength.

Anyway, I wouldn't test CA on heavily overexposed areas -- either on film or
digital. CA has real existence, but in _some_ cases could be just lateral
halation/bleeding or other film/sensor issues.

Cheers,
-- Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)
<http://cjss.sytes.net/>