Re: [OM] An impressive shot

Subject: Re: [OM] An impressive shot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:37:39 -0700
Michael Wong wrote:
> Moose,
> Thanks.
>
> Your effect is pretty good.

Thanks!

> What have you done for it?

This is a close as I can reconstruct what I did:

1. The histogram of the web version was right up against the top, with
nothing at the bottom. I used the Brightness Tool to center it.

2. I'm not a fan of big grain, so I used NeatImage to reduce it.

3. Highlight tool to bring down the background highlights and
reflections on his forehead a bit.

4. LCE to enhance micro contrast. It sort of lifted a veil, making the
image seem more immediate.

5. Very slight Curves to bring background and reflections down a bit more.

6. Dodge shadows in her face. Burn reflections on his forehead.

7. Light sharpening, less for detail than to bring up the hair
highlights, although it did the eyes some good, too. I think I applied
it selectively to only parts of the image?

8. Another round of NeatImage on a masked layer so it only reduced grain
in the darker areas.

9. More dodging on her face.

Moose