Re: [OM] OT: Why are the Mamiya Lenses so good?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Why are the Mamiya Lenses so good?
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:36:08 +1100

> Why does anybody say the RB67 is not a good hand-held camera?

I prefer to use mine on a tripod, but yeah, can be handheld and give good
results (haven't tried shooting air-air from a cockpit though).

> I agree that it would be terrible for use in an airplane, because if
> hand-held, this camera
> must will be used with the waist-level finder, it totally sucks with
> the (huge) prism
> finder.

The prism weighs in at about 1kg !  I like the chimney finder best.

> I have one of the oldest original series-1 RB's around, it has serial
> number 86! The camera is
> noisy, but when the huge mirror flops gently up, coupled with the
> camera weight, it's almost completely
> vibration-free.

...and you can always pre-fire the mirror for static subjects.

> I've posted this one before, but this shot was taken hand-held at 1/8s
> on a very very dark street.
> The in-focus areas are as sharp as the shot I posted in my original
> message of this thread. This camera
> is *superb* hand-held, hanging off your neck, there is no vibration
> whatsoever. In my experience, I could
> not have taken this shot with an OM camera and ISO 100 slide film in
> the same conditions (hand-held, wide open
> lens with ~35mm FOV), with anywhere near the same quality, even though
> the RB lens is only f/4.5.
>
> http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs49/f/2009/190/8/7/Recursion_of_misplaced_v
> alues_by_philosomatographer.jpg
>
> It's also a lot better for Macro than my Olympus OM-1/OM-2 at similar
> shutter speeds, and hence my pet project
> to build a frankenstein Macro camera out of Mamiya (shutter) and OM
> (lens) bits. Really, I don't
> understand the "reputation" of the RB67 as a shaky camera, it's a
> smooth, gentle giant.

Because the RB is so heavy it has plenty of inertia so that vibrations have
minimal effect.

If the RB lenses had a reputation for being poor why did so many pros use
them ?

...Wayne