Re: [OM] OT: Why are the Mamiya Lenses so good?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Why are the Mamiya Lenses so good?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:12:23 +0200
Points Taken, Moose, and no offense with that :-) Thanks for taking
the time to analise
my image. My perspective is purely from the end-result (that's why we
use the cameras, no?)

Sure, there is a bit of flare, but most of it is attributable to
extreme over-exposure because
this is a long-exposure night shot on slide film, and a less than
stellar flatbed film scanner.
The V700 scanner is notorious for flaring at high-contrast boundaries,
I assure you this is far
less pronounced on the slide.

No, I'm not mailing you the slide :-)

Let's look at the "world's highest performance short tele lens" - the
Leica M-Summicron 90/2.0 Apo Asph
wide open in the corners at 100% pixels. This is a torture test for
any lens.

Wide open:
http://kenrockwell.com/leica/images/90mm-f2-apo-asph/coma/87430035-crop.jpg

Stopped down one stop:
http://kenrockwell.com/leica/images/90mm-f2-apo-asph/coma/87430036-f28-crop.jpg

It's a heck of a lot easier to design a good 90mm lens than what it is
to design a
good retrofocus wide-angle, expecially one with the extreme flange-to-
focal-plane
distance of a Mamiya RB67.

Yet, in the corner, the crops posted above has rather pronounced coma
and flare around
point light sources.

All I am saying, is that (film format aside) at the same output, my
$150 Mamiya wide angle lens
is stellar, it produces result which I've never ever been able to
achieve with a 35mm C*non
L-series prime on a Digital SLR, and which (I suspect) no other 35mm
lens will match. Much of it
is down to film format difference, yes, but not all of it.

What my post boils down to, is that I am happy that I am getting what
I consider to be really good
image quality (remember, my image was shot wide open, it's leagues
better when stopped down properly)
with equipment which I was able to easily afford, and I wanted to
share some of that joy.

And it's very off-topic, yes...

Dawid

P.S. Would love a visit in South Africa from some of you guys... But
if I could fly you down,
I would not be using busted old Mamiya RB lenses, I'd be praising my
shiny new Mamiya 7
rangefinder lenses :-)

On 23 Oct 2009, at 7:18 AM, Moose wrote:

<snip>

> At the moment, I've got both. Just fly me down and I'll try both on
> your
> Cuban restaurant. My 35/2.8 is MC and black nosed, though, so you
> might
> have to fly Ken down with me. ROAD TRIP!!
>
>> <Snip more general praise for Mamiya lenses.>
>
> No offense meant, and I hope none taken. You did throw down the
> gauntlet, didn't you?

<snip>