Re: [OM] How long before we see the micro 4/3 concept used by everybody

Subject: Re: [OM] How long before we see the micro 4/3 concept used by everybody else?
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:05:55 -0500
My prediction is that Canaan will come out with a mAPS-C body and 30
lenses for their micro system.  The kit lens will be cheap, pretty
good quality, plastic mount, etc.  The rest will cost each about what
an entire m4/3 kit will cost.  TokSigVivRom will immediately release
competitive versions at half the cost.  Michael Reichmann will show on
LL that the mAPS-C is superior to 4x5 Velvia images.

The initial Canaan mAPS-C body will have multiple defects and many
firmware corrections.  Hacked firmware uploads will somewhat salvage
the experience of owning this camera for explorers and early adopters.

A year later Nikorn will release its version of the mAPS-C body, also
with a cheap kit but only 20 lenses for its micro system (which Nikorn
will refer to as its "macro system".)  TokSigVivRom will immediately
release competitive versions at half the cost.

A certain amount of chaos will ensue as third-party adapters are
released which allow legacy lenses from either manufacturer to be used
on the others' mAPS-C body due to a rare oversight on the part of
Nikorn in setting non-exclusive tolerances to provide backwards
compatibility with all optics going back to the time of Japan's war
with Russia.

Users will notice that, with cheap Chinese adapters, OM lenses provide
superior sharpness corner to corner and there is a new escalation of
selling prices for Zuikos on eBay.  The Z 28/3.5 will start to sell
regularly for $500US and the Zuiko S 35-70/3.5-4.8 will become highly
prized for its lightness and even performance across all stops.

Joel W.