Re: [OM] E-P1 hands-on report - AG Schnozz Style

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P1 hands-on report - AG Schnozz Style
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:52:51 -0500

> That said, it is not uncommon to find 283 and 285 flash units that
> exceed 250 volts.  I had one that measured about, IIRC, 260 volts.  To
> the best of my knowledge all 285HVs measure about 12 volts.  12 volts is
> also a typical value for a T32 and other flash units of the period.

I can double-check tonight, but I think my two 285HVs come in at 3vdc and
5vdc.  The 12 vdc versions were of a specific manufacturing time period.

There were so many variants of the 283/285 that you're not sure which is
which.  But it matters little because you can get a high-voltage protection
hot-shoe to put between the camera and the flash. Or in-line versions for
the PC-Sync.

Besides, I wouldn't put a 283/285 in the hot-shoe anyway.  It's not that
it's really all that heavy, but it's so bulky that it catches on
everything.  My 285HV, during weddings, is mounted on a Stroboframe, which
has proven to be probably the best photo-accessory I've ever purchased.

These days, I'm trying to get the T45 working for me in an intelligent
fashion by enlarging the flash footprint with a "softbox" style diffuser.  I
haven't quite arrived with a solution yet, but am making headway.  It's easy
to make a diffuser, it's not so easy to make one that doesn't look like you
raided the kitchen cabinet.

AG