Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 42: water and wine

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 42: water and wine
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:04:41 +1100
We're talking a 'spectrum disorder' here because every grape has a
community of yeasts and moulds on its skin (that's the powdery,
blueish coating). Sauterne and similar southern/eastern Bordeaux
regions (Barsac, Cadillac) don't freeze - too far south, close to the
river). So Botrytis was a happy accident revealed by attempts to
rescue rotten grapes in 'bad' years.
It was noticed that other areas with early frosts could get a similar
effect, though often after the mould had just begun to take hold, so
you get an ice wine with varying  levels of Botrytis flavours. Areas
with even earlier and severe frosts managed a wine with no 'rot'
effect at all and some prefer it if they don't like the flavour
produced by the mould (poor fools). Then there's the fakes where they
just chuck it in a freezer to get a reliable and uniform production
output - disgraceful.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx