Re: [OM] Palm After Dark

Subject: Re: [OM] Palm After Dark
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:30:07 -0500

> Very Holga-ish without the vignetting.

What surprised and pleased me is that when I could hold the phone still
enough (no tripod socket), the image was extremely sharp.  When the lighting
is adequate, the noise drops down quite a bit too.

Those images had minor cropping (almost always top/bottom, but the last shot
was another story entirely), and curves adjustment. The noise floor is
horrid, but with a bit of curves, you can make the shadows go dark like I
want them to.

In total fairness, it was quite dark and I'm not sure what equivalent
ISO/Aperture was, but the camera did a respectable job all things
considered.  It was VERY dark and in a few of the shots I boosted the
midtone exposure in post by at least two stops, but the detail shot of the
bank entry is over three stops of boost. Same with the opening shot.

I did experiment with monochrome conversion of the files and was actually
very pleased with the results, but I wanted to show how this lowly camera
did without resorting to obvious trickery to fix what went horribly wrong.
I did no WB correction--these are as the camera processed them.

AG