Re: [OM] Got a stupid questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Got a stupid questions
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:53:37 -0500

> There is nothing better than a properly ferrotyped gloss fiber print!

My dad just gave me both of his ferrotype machines. You are absolutely
correct about the super high-gloss finish that you can reach through. Ilford
Gallerie Classic Smooth Glossy ink-jet paper gives a very convincing
rendition of this, though.

I love ferrotyped prints, but manage to successfuly ruin more than my share
of them when I fail to get all the air-bubbles out.

One of the ferrotype machines is the drum style which is really nice because
it automatically deposits the dried prints off the drum.  The flat style
machine is a pain because it doesn't dry evenly and you end up with some
cooked prints and others left hanging.  Ugh.

For fine-art printing, I doubt I'd ever ferrotype a print because the
high-gloss look just doesn't seem to look right for the subject. One of the
very best B&W papers today is actually Ilford's pearl-surface RC. It has
enough tooth to take hand-tinting and spotting, but it also looks quite nice
behind glass. But if you are not glassing the picture, nothing seems to beat
a good fiber-glossy with coarse texture in the paper base.

AG