Re: [OM] OT: Printers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Printers
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:06:08 -0400
Candace,

It's a free download from Canon's European sites (along with the necessary
Euro Spec drivers). Look for CD Label Print. It does all of the things you
need it to. You can do full bleed style printing right to the outside edge.
I have found that some of fully printable hub style discs have a print area
larger than the printer can actually print to though. This isn't really a
problem for most of the discs I make but it's worth noting so you can stock
up on the best discs (I like the Tayo-Yuden's in 100 packs available from
many eBay sellers for around the $35 mark.

The only down side I can see to buying from Canada would be warranty support
issues. When I let go of my pro9000 (lack of use) I set it back to USA spec
and sold the CD tray separately for what I paid for it. If you end up
getting one of the sub $100 models I would expect it *would* work out better
to snag a Canada spec machine as if it goes wrong it's not likely worth the
trouble to fix it or send it back.

With regard to print quality the one I have has never disappointed for CD
printing and the occasional photo print has done OK. I use a regular lab for
all the print sales I do and don't print much of my personal stuff at the
moment. Ken is often heard on Canon print quality and I think a few other
have them (I seem to recall that John got a pro9000 at about the same time
as I did).

If you like email me a picture or a layout from CD Label Print and I will be
happy to mail you the end result printed on a CD so you can see what it's
like before you leap.

Yours, Dan.