Re: [OM] ( OM ) New photos - non-film, sorry

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) New photos - non-film, sorry
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:55:11 +1300
Chuck wrote
> Nice, I like them.  But some shots (the clock and tulips especially) seem
> to have very low contrast.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> Brian Swale wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/index.htm

Yes, I know there are some with low contrast and that ended up being
intentional.  When we got to the clock tower it was magnificently outlined
and detailed by a weak setting sun behind the camera. My hand-held shots
came out very satisfyingly for me.

It was soon drizzling a light rain. I wanted to capture the details of the
clock
mechanism though the windows. Fortunately the building is very light inside,
but it was still late in the day.

In the end, I decided, using Fast-stone for my image editing (all 15 were
done at least one stage with this program - rotation issues (2 lake frames)
with Irfanview), to significantly reduce the contrast. Without that process,
the
displayed images would in my opinion not have been nice to look at.
The tulip shot was spoiled by the camera deciding to take the exposure
reading from the sky. I have other images with better exposure and less sky
but I liked the composition of this shot.  So I accepted the cost of heaps of
noise, and adjusted the contrast and gamma to bring out some of the detail
of the flowers.

Apologies for so many shots of Mt Cook; an iconic lump of rock in New
Zealand. The atmosphere and light were exceptional, and although I should
have been driving, I stopped and used the opportunity. The lake is light blue
due to the suspended rock dust from glacier-meltwater. The matching light
blue of the sky was unusual in my experience. I am pleased with the results
from the Zuiko 200/4 + UV filter.

Brian Swale.