Re: [OM] (OT) A Few From Acadia National Park

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) A Few From Acadia National Park
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:08:12 -0500

> Apparently you did then stop to see something worth seeing in one of
> your many trips that made you an expert on Iowa.  I'm curious what it
> was.

Oh, he was just giving a firm tug on our chains.  I couldn't imagine him
being that blind. We might not have mountains, we might not have oceans, we
might not even have exotic cooking...

OK, would somebody remind me what we DO have?

Seriously, now, let's place this in a little perspective.  I have identified
multiple places to escape off of Interstate 80 for those passing through to
point your cameras at.  Have any of you actually done it?  Even in the Upper
Peninsula of Michigan I identified multiple places to photograph. Did one of
our listees actually stop and get the pictures at those locations?

The point is, if your mindset is totally focused on getting a picture like
"Yosemite Valley - Clearing Storm" you will be severely disappointed with
anything that "flyover country" has to offer. But if you open your eyes and
your minds to the possibilities that exist smack dab in front of you then
you just might find satisfaction.

The worse possible thing for me are "scenic overlooks". These rank down
there with the Kodak "Photo Spots". Frankly, I'd rather just buy a set of
postcards. I'm not one to do what everybody else does.

I think a case in point is this summer when my family vacationed in
Colorado. We travelled through Rocky Mountain National Park. At the pass,
the crowds were massive and the traffic jam took about a half hour to
negotiate. Meanwhile my bladder was screaming...  Well, at the overlook I
saw a "pretty picture", but so did everybody else. I realized that I've seen
this picture so many times that it's silly.  Did I take a picture? Sure,
absolutely.  Yawn.  But, then I walked across the road and photographed the
fence and the west approach valley. Anybody else over there?  Not a soul.
Then we travelled down to the first hairpin on the west side and I
photographed clouds and the valley to the north.  Anybody else there?  Not a
soul.

AG