Re: [OM] ( OM ) Coyotes

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Coyotes
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:41:54 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Moose [mailto:olymoose@xxxxxxxxx]

There are certainly coyotes around this area, but I've seen only one
anywhere nearby. They had some show up in Golden Gate Park in SF,
completely surrounded by city and ocean. They never directly threatened
any people, but when they started going after dogs on leashes, they were
removed.

At your height, I think you are safe from any but a serious record size
cougar*. When I saw one in the park just above us, I did a bit of
research. Because of the way they attack and kill their prey, they won't
attack anything with its neck too high for them to seize it in their
jaws while keeping their hind paws on the ground. They also like running
prey. Thus the two attacks in the last few years in CA have been on
small women running in wild country.

Moose

About 2 years ago a mountain lion attacked a woman riding a bike, I believe
on a Mt Hamilton trail (San Jose, CA). Her helmet probably saved her life.
Two men threw rocks at it as it tried to drag her down into a ravine. I
don't think a mountain lion would hesitate to attack a human because of
their height. Most attacks seem to be by young cats which have been driven
out of the territory they were born in, and haven't become proficient
hunters.

A young one strolled through a Bryce Canyon campsite while I was camped. It
was screaming its head off, probably very hungry and hoping to eat someone's
pet.

Perhaps the most dangerous aspect is they are very proficient ambush
hunters. Few people know they are there until they've attacked. From what
I've read, if they can't set up an ambush they often don't carry out an
attack but if they do attack, they aren't intimidated by full grown human
dinners. They can jump something like 20 feet. My 20 year old  6 lb Siamese
cat has no problem jumping up about 4 feet to land on my shoulder while I'm
sitting at my computer.

Jeff Keller