Re: [OM] (OT) A Few From Acadia National Park

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) A Few From Acadia National Park
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:53:18 -0500

> I have been playing with it, but my GPS eats a pair of AA cells in under
> 8 hours, so is not real practical for a lot of my shooting.

To get additional battery life out of a handheld GPS, you might want to make
the following adjustments. Note, that these are adjustments for a Garmin
eTrex, so the specific settings may vary for yours.

Setup Menu
- System
- - GPS
[Battery Saver]  (Battery Saver setting polls the receiver every 5 seconds,
GPS Normal polls the receiver every 1 second)

(Note, that when travelling in locations with poor sky visibility, use GPS
Normal)

Setup Menu
- System
- - WAAS
[Disabled] (WAAS keeps the receiver polling nearly constantly. Turn on if
flying or if you are tracking to nearly inches)

Setup Menu
- System
- - Compass
[Off] (Turn on if you are needing the GPS to function as a compass when
stationery)

With the above settings, your 8 hour of battery life will extend to around
25 hours. Another thing that I've found is it is important to actually use
the GPS occasionally as it will update the satellite tables and not take so
long to do a cold acquisition.

AG