Re: [OM] (OT) A Few From Acadia National Park

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) A Few From Acadia National Park
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:25:44 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:
>> I have been playing with it, but my GPS eats a pair of AA cells in under 8
>> hours, so is not real practical for a lot of my shooting.

That wouldn't particularly bother me. Or does it lose something
important when you change batteries? As with my A650 and other portable
thingies with AA or AAA batteries, I use rechargeable Sanyo eneloop
batteries, so the cost per use is tiny.

> To get additional battery life out of a handheld GPS, you might want to make
> the following adjustments. ...
> [Battery Saver]  (Battery Saver setting polls the receiver every 5 seconds,
> GPS Normal polls the receiver every 1 second)

Although the I-gotU has only one button, it has settings that may be
changed via USB connection. You can set the tracking and logging
intervals separately from one second to many minutes. Setting them at 5
sec. gives a projected battery life of 10 hrs.

There is a battery saving option that shuts down the GPS part between
readings. They claim 5-7 seconds wake-up and capture time. Should be
useful for some sort of long term use with many seconds or minutes
between readings.

It also has a smart tracking option where you can set a ground speed at
which the tracking interval decreases to an amount you set. Useful for
combined walking and driving around various locations, for example. Or,
I suppose, for tracking vehicle use, with a long interval until it
starts to move.

I got a little gadget that plugs into the vehicle power socket and
provides USB power output for the three gadgets I have that charge from
USB. Haven't needed it for the I-gotU yet.

Not trying to tout the I-gotU, but I realized from this post that I
hadn't mentioned battery usage options in my prior post.

Moose