Re: [OM] Geocoding images [was A Few From Acadia National

Subject: Re: [OM] Geocoding images [was A Few From Acadia National
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:00:20 -0800
Mike Lazzari wrote:

> Moose, Does the Travel Logger software that comes with the iGotU work with
> other gps units? Seems like good software is the key. The gps is just a
> recording device. I already have several including a little bluetooth device.
> What I need is software I can use.

It may, but it doesn't really matter, as there are so many free local
and web apps that do that work rather well.

> Jim, The battery life may be good in the save mode but does it give you any
> useful info in the wilderness? How do you access that info? I think you need
> another device like a laptop. Maybe you can pull your coordinates off a
> camera and transfer them to a map by hand.  Not very practical for
> navigation. The only thing it will do is to silently record your travels for
> later perusal by you or the SAR team :-)

I started to get excited about non-auto GPS devices. With a little
looking, one may get a good used one for no more than a new I-gotU. As I
was setting up watches on auctions, I had a small revelation. I didn't
intend to do off road navigation and didn't want another largish,
heavyish gadget to carry around. I stopped looking and bought the best
solution for me.

If I were interested in off road navigation as well, I would have gone a
different way.

>  just dead weight on the trip.

26 g, or 0.9 oz ain't much. It's TINY!

> FWIW You can get a little gps with MS Streets&Trips for $32.
> <http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/clk.asp?P=105305&U=1&ai=3844>

Interesting, but limited. Unlike off road GPSs and trackers like the
I-gotU, it looks to be only a GPS receiver, of no use whatsoever unless
attached to a laptop. The I-gotU may be used in that dumb mode, too.

Moose