Re: [OM] Geocoding images [was A Few From Acadia National

Subject: Re: [OM] Geocoding images [was A Few From Acadia National
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:14:57 -0800
Jim Couch wrote:

> Navigation in the wilderness is to critical to be trusted to any electronic
> device. Thommens Altimeter and a Suunto compass for me!

My favorite backpacking location was the Southern Sierra. I soon
discovered that one needs only a topo. Above tree line in high country,
landmarks are obvious and your location in 3D clear. And then, you KNOW
if you change drainages, something about climbing a couple of thousand
feet and crossing the pass. :-)

If I were tromping about in other wilderness, I do think I would use a
GPS. I'd certainly carry a topo, compass and perhaps altimeter, enjoy
the convenience of the gadget and keep my position marked on the map as
I went along in case it fails. There are enough poorly marked trails and
junctions and other uncertainties out there that being warned early
about taking a wrong path seems worthwhile, if nothing else. The
decision whether to bushwhack or go back around is always difficult and
often wrong. :-)

BTW, my short interest in GPS devices for off road did reveal a
potentially important difference between Garmin and Magellan. Both have
a track back feature, able to lead back whence one has come. However,
the Garmin skips points, while the Magellan does not. No prob if it
tries to take you over a big rock you remember going around on the way
in, but what about the gully in the dark?. One user reported running
aground in a river when his Garmin didn't direct him around a bend, but
across it.

Moose