Re: [OM] OT: Why are the Mamiya Lenses so good?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Why are the Mamiya Lenses so good?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:04:35 +0200
Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your many responses to aid this discussion.
I just wanted to add that the shot was certainly made wide open, and the
pretty starbursts around point source of light are from the metal-bladed
leaf shutter.

Also, while the Mamiya 50mm very-wide-angle lens has some barrel
distortion,
the 65mm is *very* rectilinear, I have never picked up any distortion
in any of my images, and I am quite sensitive to distortion, my most
disliked
aberration (and hence my dislike of the M.Zuiko 17mm for its fisheye-
like poor
performance in that regard).

You cannot use my posted image to judge distortion, as it's a photo of
a curved building,
with a curved foreground :-)

And you do support my point that the scanner optics are a big source
of flare, especially
a cheapo scanner like an Epson V700, which performs nowhere near as
good as a
Nikon 4000 or 9000.

cheers,
Dawid