Re: [OM] ( OM ) an off-topic question for rural USA-dwellers

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) an off-topic question for rural USA-dwellers
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:47:24 -0500
  In fairness to John, I think we've been talking of two different things.
Humans have been hybridizing plants since we stopped chasing animals and
started scratching at the dirt with a stick in an attempt to feed ourselves.
And its a good thing otherwise we'd still be eating ears of corn the size of
those that Tom Hanks tried to eat in "Big". I certainly don't object to
eating foods that have been created by hybridizing plants or animals that
have desirable traits. I would prefer that they be made more tasty but
certainly understand the need for more production.
  What I am not interested in consuming is a food item that has had genes
from who-knows-where-or-what inserted into their genome for who-knows-what
reason: resistance to the latest herbicide so they can use buckets of the
stuff; the ability for a plant to produce its own pesticide; a gene to make
the plant glow in the dark so they can harvest at night. I'm being facetious
of course, but you get the point. Now I'm sure all this new food has been
tested out the wazoo with no ill effects, but then so were any number of
medications that had to be withdrawn from the market for unexpected side
effects years after there introduction.

Charlie (stepping off the soap box)