Re: [OM] ( OM ) Indecent exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Indecent exposure
From: "Rickard Nilsson" <rickard.nilsson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:26:20 +0100
Den 2009-11-02 23:46:19 skrev Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> (b) Using something like the OM4 to set exposure as I already do for my
> manual film cameras - if I have an interesting scene where I will want
> to try a
> range of compositions (and I know that the E-3 will alter the exposure
> for
> every composition even though the illumination of the scene has not
> changed one iota), I will want to set one reliable combination of speed
> and
> aperture on manual and leave that constant through the set of shots.

> (d) and having stabilised exposure, I also have to simultaneously find a
> way
> to cause the camera to focus on a spot I decide upon - be it near or far
> -
> while I move the frame to get the composition I want. Easy with film -
> but
> digital ?

Chuck Norcutt described the remedy to those two points in an earlier
post. The trick is the following:

   * Set the camera to manual exposure and manual focus.

   * Configure the AEL/AFL setting to mode "M3". This will cause
     the AEL/AFL button to work as a "focus-on-demand"-button. Remember
     to activate only the middle focus point, for consisten behaviour.

   * Set the function of the thumb dial to Shutter (in Manual mode).

   * If you like, switch the FN and AEL/AFL buttons so the focus
     function is available to you just below the thumb dial.

With these settings, it is simple to get consistent exposure and
focusing:

   1. Set ISO.

   2. Set aperture (by pressing the +/- button and turning the
      dial at the same time)

   3. Point the camera towards something you like to set your
      exposure after. You can use either spot or pattern metering.
      Adjust the shutter time by turning the thumb dial. You can
      directly read out the amount of over- or underexposure the
      camera thinks you are doing, both in the viewfinder and
      on the LCD.
      You can configure both the direction of the thumb dial,
      and the amount it should increase/decrease shutter time.
      I prefer to have it to increase the shutter time a half
      stop when I turn it right. That makes sense when shifting
      aperture on manual Zuikos to.

   4. Point the camera towards something you want to focus on,
      and press the AEL/AFL (or FN) button.

   5. Now, exposure and focus is set, you can freely compose
      and then take the photo. The camera won't change any
      setting when you press the shutter button.

Since all settings will remain after the shot, you often just
have to change the focus for the next shot.

Regards,
   Rickard Nilsson