Re: [OM] "Way Beyond Monochrome," anyone has a copy?

Subject: Re: [OM] "Way Beyond Monochrome," anyone has a copy?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 14:55:01 -0600

> Ooo... I hope people don't mind that we talk about film stuff here :-)

We're going to get drummed out of here by the digital crowd.

> So Ken, I am assuming that the Zone Master II + Stop Clock is similar to my
> RH Designs Analyser Pro - so in your initial test strips, do you just divide
> by 1/2 or bias one way or another depending on the proposed paper grade?

They are similar enough.  I'm not sure I understand your question, but I
have my steps set at 1/4 stop. When running a test strip, I start out by
offsetting my starting exposure down 4 steps from metered recommendation.
Then I run 8 steps in the test strip.

> For example, with the Analyser Pro, I'd take a highlight and shadow
> reading. If the neg is average contrast, it will give a timing based on
> grade 2 and peg the two readings on Zone II and VIII. If the neg is not of
> average contrast, I will have to, for example, move to grade 1+ for the two
> readings to sit at the right places. So in this case, should I pre-bias and
> assume that I will need may be 1/4 stop more on the low grade exposure and
> do the test strips that way? It makes logical sense and my test last night
> seems to support that. Of course with split grade, I suppose the idea is
> that we can play around with
> different ratio and have different interpretation. I am thinking that
> this must be similar to doing curve adjusting on digital....

Your mental approach to this is similar to mine. I haven't "arrived" yet in
this.  As a general rule, you start off soft and tweak the highs and lows as
necessary. With the meter, I will multi-spot the high, low and mid-tone
values. Then I'll adjust the exposure and contrast controls until the dots
land where I want them to. Unfortunately, that usually means the midtone dot
gets moved to the wrong spot.

So you pick two out of three.  I usually pick the highlight and midtone
dots. I get them where I want and choose that as my starting exposure. Then
if I need to move the dark dot further to the dark, I add a touch more grade
5 exposure.

AG