Re: [OM] Olympus E-P2 + Lumix 20mm f1.7

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-P2 + Lumix 20mm f1.7
From: iwert bernakiewicz <zuikooh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:28:44 +0100
> On 06 Nov 2009, at 12:08 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>
>> This one in particular is quite outstanding:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/21122418@N07/4059180489/
>
> I have to disagree. As an image, it's quite cure, but it's technically
> terrible.
> It looks like a 100% crop form a small-sensor digicam to me, to be
> honest. Sorry, for
> ISO 400, it's really unusable, and somehow looks too "chunky."

That is not to blame on the equipment, I'm sure, just over processed
and tinkered with!

> This is an ISO 800 image with no noise reduction made in about one
> sixteenth the light
> as the mutt shot, using 5-year old DSLR technology.
>
> http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/259/2/9/Pathleadingtothehighgrass_by_philosomatographer.jpg
> (ISO 800, 1/15s, f/1.2)

Apples to oranges here, I can show even better ones with E-1
technology:) just kidding,
but that is a thought of shot, the dog shot is probably just a lucky
shot, don't blame
the equipment when it is the operator or circumstances!

> I am sorry, but I really would expect the E-P1/2 to at least compete
> with a 5-year old DSLR, never mind
> their claims that it offers "DSLR quality in a compact package". It's
> not even close. Not by a long shot.
> Both on lenses, as well as on the sensor front.

Agreed, however the sensor isn't that bad at all from my little
experience a short
while back, handling is a different beast

> It's simply not at all a serious camera. Whereas the original Pen F
> cameras were. They were serious about
> a lot of things back then, such as releasing an actual nice set of
> lenses with the body.

Can only agree with that, and the lenses weren't all that expensive either.
BUT! there was only a set of these: 25f4, 38f1.8, 40f1.4, 100f3.5 and 150f4
and maybe the zoom released with the pen F, only with the arrival of
the FT, a few years later,
the system did grow to it's known size, a serious wide angle has
always been lacking,
with 28mm at the widest end. The quality of the first four lenses was
rather good
however!

Iwert