Re: [OM] E-P1 hands-on report - AG Schnozz Style

Subject: Re: [OM] E-P1 hands-on report - AG Schnozz Style
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:12:20 +0100
Hi Ken, Bill, Andrew, Iwert, Wayne, Don and all,

From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>As a general rule I am not either.  I prefer 35mm over 50mm.  But try to
>find a fast 35mm equivalent in 4/3 mount.

To me, 40mm equiv. does the same as 35mm. So far, I'm very happy with the
20/1.7 of my GF1 -- review coming soon ;^)

>It's almost enough to drive me
>over to the dark side and flirt with financial disaster to get the M9 with
>35 F1.4.

Wow! My "usual" dealer has increased the price of the M9 -- from EUR 4700 to
5500, just like many other places here :-(

From: "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
>Sounds good to me, but I'm a 28 guy and the leica fast 28's are not cheap.
>Bill Pearce

But then, are you talking about 28mm lenses or 28mm _equivalents_ in m4/3?
The latter would be much more difficult. I own the Voigtlander Ultron 28/1.9
-- superb performer IME, but largish by rangefinder standards.

From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>40mm f2 Summicron-C made for the CL - tiny and usually around $3-400
>tho' it might have gone up a bit now.

Got recently the Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2 -- weren't they the same thing? I
have finished my first test roll, but it's waiting to be developed! Tiny and
great handling, they're told to be very sharp!

>The 90mmf4 Elmar-C is good value too.

Got also the Minolta version (even have a spare for sale!), but this is a
different beast, especially on a m4/3 body -- a tiny 180/4 ;^)

>And the 28mm Rokkor made for the
>later Minolta CLE.

These seem to have a problem similar to 'Schneideritis'... I don't have any
of these, my 'compact RF 28' is a Voiftlander Skopar 28/3.5 in LTM --
already discontinued, stock is drying up... and S. Gandy rised their price
$100 recently! Great little lens.

Also, there's the 28/2.8 optics of the Ricoh GR-1 in LTM mount! But it was a
very limited edition and prices are ridiculously high. I had that camera and
it performed great, although of "clinical", analytic flavour.

From: iwert bernakiewicz <zuikooh@xxxxxxxxx>
>And for an OM zuiko 40mm that price is considered expensive... Leica
>really is a relative world.

Well, I paid much more (plus customs) for my LNIB Zuiko 40/2 :-( I am,
however, very happy with it and take it with my in all travels -- but I have
to admit performance (at the widest apertures, at least) is nowhere as good
as the CV Nokton 40/1.4! <http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/3908103012/>.

But then, the Zuiko wins hands down in the bokeh dapartment: <
http://cjss.sytes.net/atachaos/audrey40.jpeg> (on EOS-300D, 64mm equiv.)

>One can get a pen f 40f1.4 for 150$ and f1.2 for 250... they are not
>as tiny, but at least
>a full stop faster!

But I don't think they're such great performers -- I mean wide open.

From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>And what about the cosine-voigtlanders in M mount ?

As you can read on the previous paragraphs, I'm really happy with my CV
lenses -- most are in LTM, but easily adapted to M bayonet. I think the
15/4.5 would be the only widish (30mm equiv...) lens I could use with the
GF1 for some time :-(

I haven't tried it already (waiting for the adapter to arrive...) but I
thionk I have a great portrait lens for the GF1: the Skopar 50/2.5. Tiny but
surprisingly heavy, this lens is sharp but also buttery smooth -- really
love its pictures on film but I don't get much use for 50mm focal length.

From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>My 283 & standard 285 have voltages too high for digital use. My 285HV is
ok, but some may not be. Others may chime in if I am >incorrect

Just measured a Vivitar 2000 flash I had the intention to sell... OMG, 225
volts!!! :-(

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)