Re: [OM] Yahoo! Chuck can focus again

Subject: Re: [OM] Yahoo! Chuck can focus again
From: Michael Collins <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 19:53:43 -0500
On 11/8/09 7:39 PM, Russ Butler wrote:
> Modern medicine notwithstanding, it must be/have been incredibly scary
> to have your eyes messed with.

Indeed. I had minor surgery the other year to repair a retinal detachment
(minor detachment, corrected with a scleral buckle - not fully around the
eye, but localised), and there are two points when you really wonder. First
when you drift out of the anaesthesic haze and realise the eye is packed and
bandaged shut. And scarier - when the bandage and packing is being removed
and you're wondering if sight is going to return, and if there's any
impairment.

On a lesser scale is Nd:YAG laser treatment (cauterisation, I suppose) for
retinal tears. Massive green light as if there's been a thermonuclear
explosion in the room, and a weird and disconcerting stinging feeling
somewhere deep behind the eye, and then it takes many minutes before sight
slowly returns to normal.

Yahoo indeed for the first eye. Best wishes for tomorrow's procedure, Chuck.

Michael