[OM] New member - OM4 shutter question

Subject: [OM] New member - OM4 shutter question
From: Michael Frangos <michalis_dk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:30:54 +0100
Hi

I hadn't heard of this list until Chuck Norcutt mentioned it while answering a
question about my OM4. I'm not really technically inclined but don't mind
dismembering a (relatively cheap) lens to see how it looks on the inside. I
have also been lucky - I mean LUCKY - with 'repairing' some cameras which had
mechanical problems. I have been using Olympus gear since early 1980s and if it
was not for my failing eyesight I would not have moved to AF (Minolta). But I'm
still an Olympus fan and now that film cameras can be had for quite low prices,
I'm expanding my small collection of OM gear. Some them have problems and my
newly aquired OM4 - which according to the seller 'worked fine last time he
used it' - was not an exception.

It would fire but not with a lens attached. Nice. Anyway, in a bright moment I
noticed that it lacked the spring which is attached to the 'stop down lever'
(?) and having a few cannibalised OM bodies i found a spring and used about 20
minutes trying to put it in place without having to disassemble anything. It
appears to be working fine.

Now I have another problem. I disassembled the mount because the ring where the
string is attached was not moving very freely, and I have obliously reassembled
it in the wrong way. The shutter speeds are clearly off and there's no way to
get 'B'. The camera fires at all speed settings even without batteries in.

Could anyone guide me on how to do it right?

regards

Michael