Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat

Subject: Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:08:39 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks, I'll have to try that too but this one is very easy and, I think,
> near foolproof.

OK, now you got me curious, so I did a simple little test. I was
particularly curious about his idea of a casual lasso selection on
surrounding areas.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/YellowTeeth/Teeth.htm>

1. As is

2. Simple Lasso, reduce yellow saturation

3. Lighten #2 with levels

4. Same Lasso, both reduce yellow saturation and increase brightness in
Hue/Saturation Tool

5. #4 with Lasso selection replaced with a Quick Selection Tool selection.

6. QST selection, WB gray dropper in Levels used on teeth.

7. #6 lightened in Levels.

As I suspected, the Lasso Tool makes for trouble, as the adjustments to
the teeth affect the lips. One could, of course paint the mask, but the
point here is quick and easy. The QST is that, as well as accurate.

Simply pulling down the yellow saturation and lightening in H/S or
Levels, I still ended up with a little yellow. I'm sure either that
could be done better or may actually be preferred as a look by some.
Almost white teeth.

The WB dropper gave nice, clean neutral tones, pure white teeth.
Combined with QST, it seemed to me to be the quickest, simplest process.

Teeth borrowed from a Candace portrait.

Moose