[OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.

Subject: [OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:39:09 -0800
OK, I toned down the title of this post from the language i was
originally going to use. I can't believe how bad some of this stuff is
though!

After spending most of last summer shooting film (for a number of
primarily 'practical' reasons) i have once again jumped into the world
of digital capture. Having recently picked up an E-620 I have been
looking at raw converters. I had forgotten how much I really dislike the
digital 'darkroom' experience. I now remember why!

I have been downloading and evaluating Windows raw conversion software.
By and large this is some of the WORST software I have used!

Of the ten or so packages I have played with two won't run reliably on
any of the three machines I have tried, two will only run on one or two
of the machines, most are incredible resource hogs, and most of them
have terrible interfaces. On two of the software packages I could not
figure how to save a file to disk without resorting to the manual! On
one package, even the manual did not help - I never could get a file
saved to disk! Most of the packages are not content with save as an
option - it has to be output, export, or some other conceited, obscure,
and overblown phrase. I suppose it is some way appropriate to the
software which is much the same!

Who comes up with this stuff? People really spend hundreds of dollars on
some of this stuff? Amazing! It's not like I am computer illiterate by
any means. I do all of the "IT" stuff on our three machine network at
work. I know my way around both Windows & Mac machines. I am the person
that most of my friends & family rely on when they have computer
problems. If it is this difficult for me, what do people with no
computer skills do!?!

I'll be OK, really, I think I will make a cup of coffee and go shoot
some film. Besides, I have a whole bottle of Vicodin left over from a
recent gallstone episode, maybe I'll try a couple of those before
downloading anymore photo software.

Jim Couch