Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat

Subject: Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 20:48:32 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The technique as I defined it was #4.  However, I never saw the white lips
> that you've managed to create.  My assumption is that you're trying for a
> pure white and pushing the controls too far.  When I touch up a portrait I
> would never give someone pure white teeth whose normal appearance is somewhat
> yellowed.  Anyhow, it worked perfectly fine for me.
>
> Actually, I just tried to re-create what you've shown as #4 by copying the
> "original" and I can't do it.  It appears to me that when you did your
> example with the hue/saturation control you forgot to select "yellows".  If
> you do select yellows it's not possible to turn the lips white even at min
> desaturation and max lightness.  Try again.

Oooops, right you are. Too many levels, sloppy labeling, too many teeth
to save as JPEGs - and I screwed up.

Just to make up for it, I went a step further with H/S, selected
Yellows, then clicked on several places in the teeth with the +dropper.
The color range selected changed quite a bit on the rainbow slider. By
customizing to the actual hues involved, I got a more neutral result
than with the generic Yellows selection.

I've replaced the image on the roll-over. The one problem I see with it
now is that pulling all the yellow down toward gray has lowered the
contrast on the teeth, so they are sort of flat. I think I still prefer
the last one for the tonal variety on the teeth.

Also, I've added steps to the H/S process now, so the WB dropper is
certainly faster - and that's where this all started, at least in your
original subject line. :-)

Moose