Re: [OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.

Subject: Re: [OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 20:50:28 -0800
Moose wrote:

> Is it possible that you are using machines with inadequate resources
> and/or deeply messed up old registries, so that they aren't suited to
> the purpose?
>
> I'm not aware of so many converters out there to be tried, but have used
> several. While some suffer various ills and shortcomings, none give me
> the sort of troubles you talk about. Some, RawTherapee comes to mind,
> run slowly enough to try my patience, but like the others, it works
> consistently and doesn't crash.

One is an old creaky machine originally win98, upgraded to XP, but the
other two are newer, including my wife's Lenovo laptop running Vista and
my work machine(s) running XP. Oddly enough there is no real consistency
on what software will run on what. an amazing array run fine on the old
beast (although sloowwwlly) and some that ran on that machine won't run
properly on one of the newer machines. It is really amazing how much is
out there! Of the stuff I tried here are a few observations.

Lightzone - will not run on the old machine (needs SSE2 support)
continually crashes on the Vista machine, runs ok on the XP machine at work.

Bibble - runs fine, but does not recognize the E-620 files

Lightroom (3beta) - runs on all machines, but will not save files on the
oldest machine.

Phase One - runs but the interface is rather hard to decipher, one of
the programs that I had trouble actually outputting a file.

SilkyPix - runs, but even more cryptic than Phase one, never could
figure out how to get a file out of it, even after reading the manual!

RawTherapee - works on the vista machine - crashes/hangs on the other two.

GIMP - runs, but the interface is pretty crude (to me) and I never could
figure out how to do much with raw files.

Elements 8 runs on the Vista and newer XP machine, have not tried it on
the old beast.

DxO - runs on all three machines, again slowly on the old beast. Odd,
because a number of folks have had problems getting it to run.

Olympus Studio - so far have only tried it on the Vista machine where it
appears to work fine.

Olympus Master - Software that came with the 620, works fine on all
three machines. Of course it only works the ORF raw files so that means
something else for my Ricoh P&S raw files.

Jim couch