Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat

Subject: Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:13:58 -0800
Candace Lemarr wrote:
> Now that I see Moose has used one of my images I have to laugh. So, just want
> to say, that I use layers. Layers are my best friend.

Oh yeah!

> And I do not ever care to make the teeth "white". A bit brighter, yes, a bit
> less yellow, yes, make the shadows not so dark in between the teeth, yes. But
> white teeth? No. Few people have them naturally, and we
> usually only see them in magazines and on tv or big screen. My own teeth are
> a definite yellow shade, and have been since they came in. It is the natural
> color of my teeth. I find the teeth whitening line    of thought to be very
> similar to the eye whitening line of thought. Not natural. If anything is
> done, a very light touch is what I prefer. Having said that, I prefer step
> one in Moose's example, where the teeth are "just not as yellow".

I don't disagree. Although as mentioned inmy last post, I've had my
teeth whitened for what seem to me to be sensible reasons, they are by
no means "white", just a lighter shade of their natural yellowishness,
more like what they were at your age.  :-)

You might have noticed that I used a portrait of yours that I had
previously heavily edited - and at that time, I left tooth color alone.
I wasn't advocating any particular color treatment. I was having fun
with the challenge in the subject line and whether I could find a
better, and/or quicker was to do it than the on line expert.

> For myself, I have used a duplicate layer, color balance to remove some
> yellow, or simply de-saturate a bit, layer mask and paint the teeth back in.

That works fine, but doesn't meet the 10 second criterion. Or at least
is slower than the selection=> mask method.

> Perhaps lowering opacity on the masked layer if the whitening is too white.
> Takes a few seconds. But I'll try the method laid out in Chuck's link next
> time and see how that goes.

Don't forget to try using the color dropper to fine tune the yellows for
a more accurate hue selection for lowering saturation. It takes only a
click and can make a noticeable difference.

Moose