Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat

Subject: Re: [OM] How to whiten yellow teeth in PhotoShop in 10 seconds flat
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:38:05 -0700
Hi-ya Moose,

Moose wrote:
> Although as mentioned in my last post, I've had my
> teeth whitened for what seem to me to be sensible reasons, they are by
> no means "white", just a lighter shade of their natural yellowishness,
> more like what they were at your age.  :-)

Yes, and I understood your post very well. I, too, have crowns that my
dentist thought would be better to be whiter than the rest of my
teeth...as well as reconstruction of two front broken teeth as a very
young child, so I know exactly what you're talking about. However, I've
never done the bleaching thing to make them match. Have scheduled it a
couple of times, but other things came up. It no longer seems important. :-)
> You might have noticed that I used a portrait of yours that I had
> previously heavily edited - and at that time, I left tooth color alone.
> I wasn't advocating any particular color treatment. I was having fun
> with the challenge in the subject line and whether I could find a
> better, and/or quicker was to do it than the on line expert.

Yes, I remember the fun we had with that portrait very well. As well, I
remember the nose that Andrew gave the poor young lady whilst trying to
show me how the liquefy tool works. Pretty funny. I understood your
intent here, no worries.
>> For myself, I have used a duplicate layer, color balance to remove some
>> yellow, or simply de-saturate a bit, layer mask and paint the teeth back in.
>>

> That works fine, but doesn't meet the 10 second criterion. Or at least
> is slower than the selection=> mask method.

yes, you are correct, not quite 10 seconds, but a fairly fast procedure.

>> Perhaps lowering opacity on the masked layer if the whitening is too white.
>> Takes a few seconds. But I'll try the method laid out in Chuck's link next
>> time and see how that goes.
>>

> Don't forget to try using the color dropper to fine tune the yellows for
> a more accurate hue selection for lowering saturation. It takes only a
> click and can make a noticeable difference.

I will definitely try that out next time.
Thank you for the suggestions.

Candace