Re: [OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.

Subject: Re: [OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:30:48 -0800
Candace Lemarr wrote:
> LOL, Chuck!
> Ken is not the only place I've heard this about ACR and E-30 ORF files. But I
> think I'll download the trial of PSE 8.0 and see how ACR handles the E-30
> ORFs.

I've finally slogged up to the present in this thread, for the moment.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned that is on point to the issues you,
AG and others mention is the ability to create custom profiles. AG rants
about the default settings in ACR , but doesn't mention the alternative.

In ACR, RawTherapee, and I'll bet in all the other major GUI conversion
apps, one may save custom settings and apply them later to other images.

So if the defaults in any given app that otherwise meets your needs are
off, make your own. You can not only make generic ones for various sorts
of subjects and lighting, but specific ones for individual subjects and
lighting. "Maggie_Open_Shade" might be a very specific saved setting,
for example.

One of the differences between using the camera maker's app and generic
converters is that they aren't aware of all the camera settings used for
the camera's own, internal RAW to JPEG conversion. So for those who
primarily work in JPEG, controlling the characteristics with the camera
settings for contrast, color, etc., using a RAW converter that isn't
aware of those settings, but simply uses a single default for RAW
conversion may be surprising and frustrating.

In my case, I've never changed the in-camera settings from default, as I
shoot only RAW. In the few instances where I've compared the Canon
converter, DPP, to ACR, all outdoor landscapes, I've preferred the ACR
default. Obviously, that isn't the case with E-thingies.

Moose