Re: [OM] To all who answered the call - Thank you

Subject: Re: [OM] To all who answered the call - Thank you
From: khen lim <khen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:31:06 +0800
Cc: "K.T. Pillai" <prproject.kt@xxxxxxxxx>
Very well put, Bill.

I remember that I was the official photography for a Remembrance Day event
two years ago. In Malaysia, such events are not supported or recognised by
the government. Most of us are of the opinion that the government does not
appreciate what other countries have done in the past to protect them and
fight wars on their behalf. Therefore when it comes to honouring those who
fell in the line of duty to protect this country, all efforts are private
and privately funded. In many cases, a large part of the funding continues
to come from overseas.

Every year for Remembrance Day in Malaysia, we have huge contingents coming
from Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom including India and Nepal.
We do have a small lot of Americans who come our way although I'm not sure
in what capacity or how they are involved since history doesn't record a lot
about Americans' tour of duty in Malaya/Malaysia.

I have godparents from Toowoomba, Queensland who attend this event
faithfully every year. To them, it is almost sacrilegious not to attend
unless one is too ill to come. My godfather, Tom Turnbull, would always tear
when the bugle sounds. And he has served with distinction in Malaya prior to
her independence with some horrible stories to tell.

In any case, the ceremonies are sombre and respectful. I am glad that I had
the opportunity to capture the event and I'm thinking of retaining my
involvement for next year.

Thanks for sharing.

K.

2009/11/12 <NSURIT@xxxxxxx>

> In a message dated 11/11/2009 4:30:06 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> This'll  probably annoy some, but....
> Should we also apologise to those who, like my  parents, didn't have
> any choice?
> At least they made it back home,  unlike some of their friends.
> Andrew Fildes
>

> Veteran's Day in the US is a day of remembering those who  served.  Some
> who served, volunteered, others were drafted.   I'm not sure if an apology
> is
> necessary when remembering the sacrifice each made  in their own way.  My
> feelings today are of gratitude and thanksgiving  for all those who served.
> Yes, I am one of the many who have answered that  call.  No apology is
> required as it is my honor to be among this  group.  Bill Barber
> --

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people” - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney