Re: [OM] Speaking of paradigms [was The fate of the Universe [was IMG: F

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of paradigms [was The fate of the Universe [was IMG: Friday Flower, sort of ...]]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:30:42 +1100
I didn't know that being correct was worthy of such punishment.
It ain't precious, it are right.
Keester however IS precious when you mean arse. :-)

Interesting the difficulty murkins have with dialects, I've been
reminded of late. A friend found it impossible to buy a banana
somewhere in the People's Republic because she didn't pronounce it as
badly as the locals. There's only so many times you can hear 'Huh?' as
a response before you give up. And I've noticed that CNN and Fox news
tend to subtitle perfectly understandable English spoken by Indians or
Scots.
Then I was watching Ben Affleck's movie, Gone Baby, Gone a couple of
days ago (good movie) in which the Boston dialect is so impenetrable
that I could get about one word in three in some scenes. Did citizens
of other areas demand subtitles? - I didn't feel the need.
However, I'll make an exception for Sir Alex Ferguson's after match
press conferences (or anti-ref diatribes).
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx