Re: [OM] ACR in PSE 8.0 was: Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw so

Subject: Re: [OM] ACR in PSE 8.0 was: Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:53:40 -0600

> This is so annoying, as I would still like to be able to use the
> highlight recovery options in ACR, which is often the reason I am
> developing an ORF. Either to correct WB and/or highlight recovery. I
> don't see where I have that capability to recover highlights at all in
> Olympus Master 2 except to underexpose.

There is nothing magical to "highlight recovery". It is nothing more than
automated curves adjustment.  If you convert to 48-bit format and apply
curves to that you can end up with the same result--just not as easily.
Highlight recovery does not actually do anything in the process of
converting the RAW file itself, but applies the settings to the RAW to
internal format after the conversion algorithm has been run.

In nearly any converter you can just do your conversion to protect the
highlights (essentially underexposing the picture) and then apply a single
upward arching curve adjustment to bring the midtones back to proper
exposure. This is the poor-man's highlight recovery method.

Personally, I have only seen these red and blue etchings when converting
> to jpeg with ACR in PSE 8.0.

This leads me to believe that ACR's demoisiacing algorithm isn't processing
the RAW file correctly and/or is internally converting to 24-bit mode
without preserving dynamic range.

The more I've been learning about these algorithms and sensor design the
more interested I am. This is not a static technology, that's for sure.
Even Olympus in Studio1 brought out the "High-Function" converter which used
a different algorithm than what was in the cameras themselves and in
Master.  Apparently, Studio2 uses "High Function" as the only algorithm now
and the improvements over the in-camera converter (for earlier E-bodies) is
very noticable.

I'm seeing reports from the Lightroom Beta users that the converter has been
changed and is producing images similar to SilkPix which utilized a totally
different type of algorithm.

AG