Re: [OM] Adventures in raw processing WAS: Who in the world, writes this

Subject: Re: [OM] Adventures in raw processing WAS: Who in the world, writes this junk?
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:42:31 -0800
I am beginning to think I am a bit crazy! for those who are interested I
have posted a set of photos on my smugmug page: E620 raw WB comparison
<http://www.unicornphotography.com/Other/E620-test/10343459_o9XAP#715479280_uUNxp>

Samples were converted from an E620 ORF file setting white balance to
daylight (5300k) I tried to turn everything else off so as to keep other
settings from influencing things (Not that easy sometimes!) There is
sharpening, highlight recovery, lens adjustments, ect. Feel free to take
a look. Photo was shot at 2:47pm, not an ideal time of day, but typical
of much of the climbing photos I wind up taking.

The files represent output from Elements ACR, Lightroom 3 (beta), Phase
One Capture One 5, Olympus Studio 2 and the E-620 JPG as shot.

A few of my observations:

The JPEG straight out of the camera is actually quite good, I think
better than what I often got shooting JPG with my Nik*n D200, even the
shadows look pretty good. The Studio conversion matches the colors
pretty well shadows are a bit closed up, but I am sure a bit more
processing could open them up just fine.

I am not as happy with the elements and Lightroom colors. they are not
as pleasing, and do not match my recollection of the scene (and this is
a place I know well and have photographed a lot.) Interestingly enough,
the elements and Lightroom conversions DO NOT match each other. I had
assumed that both used ACR, and that the output would be identical, but
there are some slight differences.

There is some interesting stuff going on with the Capture One output as
the shadows are opened up a lot, and overall contrast appears to be
lower. Overall the color is different, but not bad.

The DxO output is also very different from the Olympus output, but is
probably the most 'accurate' of all of the samples.

Of all the samples I like the Studio and DxO samples the best.

Obviously there is a lot more to look at. This is only one aspect, and
one sample photograph at that, and my judgment based on a single monitor
and a set of prints, but clearly there are some significant differences
in raw conversion software packages!

I would love to hear other's comments.

Jim Couch