Re: [OM] Adventures in raw processing WAS: Who in the world, writes this

Subject: Re: [OM] Adventures in raw processing WAS: Who in the world, writes this junk?
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:17:22 -0800
Candace Lemarr wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> I understand very well the difficulty in getting some of these RAW
> development programs to not apply their automatic settings so that you
> can cross compare.
> I have looked at these images you posted, and to my novice eye it
> appears that Olympus Master and the DxO samples are the best.

That is my take as well, both online, and in printed samples.

> The other images all appear (to me) to have a slight magenta cast to them.
> I also found (for myself) that ACR in CS3 and ACR in PSE 8.0 with the
> same settings applied for white balance gave a different temperature
> look when developed, even though both were set at the same temperature.

I notice the magenta cast as well, reminds me of Velvia a bit. (A film I
have always detested BTW.)
One thing to watch out for is that each program seems to use a slightly
different color temperature for their presets. Also Lightroom & ACR
change the tint setting a fair amount which will give you a very
different color cast even at the same WB temperature.

s frustrating to think that we are trying to use the RAW development
> software only to find that it very often might not be worth the effort
> in that the JPEGs are usually very good from the E-bodies and we aren't
> seeing enough difference to make it worth going the RAW route.
>
> Candace

I am curious to see how close one can get to matching the output from
two different programs (Studio vs Lightroom for example) if one chose
to, but am not sure I am up to the task.

The JPGs are indeed good, but I can still see room for improvement, but
it will clearly take some effort. I think once I decide on a program and
get some learning time in, I should be able to see some improvements.

I was hoping to compare sharpening and noise control with these
programs, but am finding it VERY difficult, as the sharpening tools all
vary a fair amount.

Jim Couch