Re: [OM] Adventures in raw processing WAS: Who in the world, writes this

Subject: Re: [OM] Adventures in raw processing WAS: Who in the world, writes this junk?
From: Russ Butler <rbinnj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:43:01 -0500
Russ Butler wrote:
> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>> I'll add that I tried the first one.  CS3 can't convert it because it's
>> too early for the E-620 but PSE 8.0 can.  The PSE 8.0 conversion looks
>> very close to the camera's JPEG.  The only thing that struck me right
>> off is that the purple paint in the upper right hand corner is a bit
>> darker and slightly more saturated in the PSE conversion.  I guess I
>> should compare some Canon CR2 files between CS3 and PSE 8.0 since
>> someone (I think it was Candace) complained of a difference between CS3
>> and PSE 8's conversions... but I'm too lazy at the moment.
>>
>> Chuck Norcutt
>
> Thanks Chuck (I think :-).
> I'll download a few pairs.

OK so now I'm talking to myself :-)

Anyway, I downloaded a couple and had a look.
http://fourthirds-user.com/images/177/raw/P3072068.ORF
&
http://fourthirds-user.com/images/177/raw/P3072077.ORF
(picked this for the violet which is often a pita for me.)

Also got the jpegs which don't impress me.
http://fourthirds-user.com/images/177/P3072068.JPG
&
http://fourthirds-user.com/images/177/P3072077.JPG

ImageMagick 6.5.4-9 didn't crash but didn't convert the ORF's to
anything useful unless you can do something with black. (SORRY I
recommended this route a few times in this thread. Could be a newer
version would be ok but I didn't bother to check. I think it relies on
dcraw.)

RawTherapee 2.4.1 crashed. Newer version might help this but I don't use
it very often.

Photoline, (http://www.pl32.com/), the editor that I use most often,
opened them and converted them to tiffs that look like my raw film scans
do after I expand their histograms. I edited them as I would my raw film
scans & they look guttenuf to me.

I just did a bit of mid range contrast & gamma increase, a lot of
saturation & light LCE. I used NeatImage for noise reduction and
sharpening as I normally would but I doubt that'd show in the web sizes
(the flower shot was fairly noisy). I used ImageMagick to convert to
jpeg, downsize and sharpen a tad more.

http://nfs.nfshost.com/tmp/P3072068raw-W.JPG
http://nfs.nfshost.com/tmp/P3072068edited-W.JPG

http://nfs.nfshost.com/tmp/P3072077raw-W.JPG
http://nfs.nfshost.com/tmp/P3072077edited-W.JPG

Anyway it was an interesting exercise and cleared up the ORF "mystery"
for me :-)

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)