Re: [OM] Senseless Sensor Trivia

Subject: Re: [OM] Senseless Sensor Trivia
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:58:27 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:
> OK, here are the answers about the E-1's KAF5101C sensor.
>
> Q1. What is the linear dynamic range of the sensor in dB?
> A1. 67 dB.

Without numbers for other, well known sensors, using the same
methodology, that number is meaningless to me. Even translated into
stops, it's still of limited use without reference points. In fact, it's
the performance of the sensor system as a whole that matters, not the
sensor alone. Flawed as they may be, DSPR's dynamic range tests clearly
illustrate this, especially in the effect of shadow noise on effective
range.

I'll stick with my original answer, which is actually useful to a
photographer.

> Q2. How many different colors of Red Detectors are used in the KAF5101C
> sensor?
> A2. One
>
> Q3. How many different colors of Green Detectors are used in the KAF5101C
> sensor?
> A3. One
>
> Q4. How many different colors of Green Detectors are used int he KAF5101C
> sensor?
> A4. Two. They are identical except half of them have slightly more red
> sensitivity

Three for Moose ...

> Q5. The very first row of detectors in the usable active image area begins
> with Blue. What are the colors of the next three detectors in line?
> A5. Green, Blue Green
>
> Q6. What color is the detector in the second row and what are the colors of
> the next three detectors in line?
> A6. Green. Red, Green Red.
>
> Contrary to popular belief, there are no adjacent green pixels. The
> arrangement of the sensor array is classic Blue-Green on odd numbered lines,
> Red-Green on even numbered lines. The green cells in the Red-Green line,
> however, have less red isolation.

I figured this was a trick, and could have gotten it correct using test
taking psychology, but chose not to. Since 6 is entirely dependent on 5,
I'm counting this as one wrong.

> Oh, and here is something of interest.

Stretching a point here - quite far.

Sooo... I'll call 1 a correct for me, as your answer, while technically
correct, is useless, and mine, while unquantified, is actually useful
and accurate.

On 2-4, my answers were correct. 4 for 5 gives me 80%.

Moose