Re: [OM] IMG: Angels - 05 - Bob

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Angels - 05 - Bob
From: Philippe Amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:40:21 +0100
Thanks Bob for viewing and commenting - you're right of course about
photography..
My posts are just about collecting.

Thanks also for the info on cultural issues in the US.
BTW, got any lobster collection or did you eat /  have you eaten them all?
;-)

These Angels  live in Engleberg i.e. the Angel Mountain - people have
got(ten) used to having their place associated with Angels since the
14th century I guess.
Here, one of the jewels of the village is a  Catholic monastery in the
midst of the otherwise non catholic Germanic part of the country.
And it needed repairs - incredibly expensive even for the Swiss. The
Church holds one of the largest organs in Eurpoe BTW.
So they decided to offer 'sponsors' the possibility to purchase plain
angels, and decorate them to their tastes, and then put them back on
auction so that they might make profits for the restoration of the
monastery buildings.
So far as I know, most sponsors not only paid for the statues once, but
bought then them back when on auction ...

I haven't heard of any legal issue so far, and the community is closely
linked, whatever their religion, since a major flood (yes it can happen
in a moiuntain valley) nearly ruined them all three years ago.
So this is the behind the scenes about angels - more to come - hopefully
some covered in snow or ice as I plan to go again at Chrismas/Xmas.

Thanks again
Best from Metz
Philippe