Re: [OM] Speaking of grease

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of grease
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:15:05 EST

In a message dated 11/22/2009 11:59:48 A.M. Central Standard Time,
rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx writes:

In the  FWIW department, I've had satisfactory results with "Permatex" brand
white  lithium grease sold in auto parts stores in the U.S. These come in
little  1.5 fl. oz (44.3 ml) tubes, so you don't have to buy the industrial
size.  Worked well on Russki lenses, as did "Tetra Gun" Grease, a
tubflouropolymer  (that's what it says) lubricant.

Rick

I appreciate all the suggestions and thought I'd throw in something that
worked for me and will make some folks crazy.  That is probably especially
true for John at Camtech.

I have a Brownie Hawkeye and I couldn't get the shutter to work properly.
It would either not release or would hang up for a moment or two and then
release.  I took as much of it apart as I could, (which was most of it) and
then drenched the shutter mechanism with some lighter fluid and let it sit
for  an hour or so.  It temporary seemed to work and then went right back  to
doing the same old thing.  OK, so the Hawkeye isn't exactly a dime a
dozen, but it isn't that far off, so I took it apart again, got some "3 in 1"
motor oil out of my tool box and put a drop or two on the offending part   Oh,
that really worked great!  It was both really smooth and really slow  now.
So it was back to the drawing board or maybe to search for another
Hawkeye.  Again, I pulled out the lighter fluid and use a good bit less
generous
amount this time around. That was the trick as it didn't totally  get rid of
the "3 in 1" but is cut the viscosity enough to make the shutter work  like
it was intended to work and I was back in business.  The lens was  flipped
and I am shooting 120 film with a 620 take up spool.  Interesting  results
for those of us who don't think sharp focus is always what it is cracked  up
to be.

Ken, you probably don't want to tell Mrs. Ag about this one.

I will not be trying this method with any of my Zuikos.

<{B^)  Bill Barber