Re: [OM] Inside the Zuiko 300mm F4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Inside the Zuiko 300mm F4.5
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:45:36 +0000
Hi Chris, Fernando and all,

Thanks to all who watched, too!

From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>It does have echoes of the introductory sequences of the old Bond
>films :-)

Well, I'm not a fan of those films/novels, but I think you're right! BTW,
the orange spot thru the iris' opening is a T-shirt that happened to be at
teh back of the 300mm ;-) It's this one: <
http://cjss.sytes.net/atachaos/viaje2005/r6_2.jpeg> -- despite the OT thing
in my hands, this was taken with my (now neglected) Oly mju-2 with some sort
of Fuji slide film.

>That's an interesting shot, Carlos, both in composition and in colour.

Thanks!

>And do you like your GF-1 -- despite its not having image stablisation?

Well, in short, I DO like it! I'm waiting for a convenient way to try my
Zuikos on it, in order to post a review, but here's a quick list of my
initial impressions:

*This is THE WAY to make a digicam -- mirrors are a thing of the past! ;^)
*Decent high ISO performance, up to 800 -- not stellar, but way better than
my (6 years old, I admit) EOS-300D
*Quick! From totally off to shot taken in a bit more than a second. Once
focused, shutter lag is negligible, maybe shorter than many (D)SLRs.
*With the 20/1.7, AF is reasonably fast -- typically less than half a
second, unless going to or from close-ups.
*AF works well, even in dim light. The AF+MF option is convenient and
accurate, although focus-by-wire is too slow for full-time manual focusing.
*MF with magnified Live View is great! Frame rate keeps high, the screen may
be noisy in dim light but that's not an issue for accurate focusing -- a
sluggish display would.
*Adapted lenses work great (in MF of course) but need two quick button
presses (left + set), not much of a problem. Accurate exposure in either A
or M modes.
*Metering modes are centre-weighted, matrix and spot -- I have set the Fn
button to select them. There's a customisable button for AE and/or AF lock,
either while depressed or until pressed again.
*Ergonomics seem fine, although I miss the ability to hold it against my
head...
*Programmed exposure is silly :-( Keeps wide open until shutter speed
reaches 1/1000! Auto-ISO (with programmable limit) goes at 1/30, covering
most of the indoor available light situations.
*Flash is ridiculous (GN 6) but works for taking eBay pics... but then with
a noticeable delay between the pre-flash (damned digitals!) and the actual
exposure. P mode insists on f/1.7 @ 1/30, which gets too much background
exposure, IMHO.
*Auto-WB is much better than Canon's -- the only light that can fool it is
my IKEA brand CFL... but then the custom WB mode (has two presets available)
is easy to make, infinitely more than Canon's.
*The JPEG engine seems poor... I have set sharpness to the minimum value,
like I did with the 300D. There's raw available, of course, but the supplied
software (SilkyPix) is _so_ awful...
*Yes, no in-body IS (and the 20/1.7 doesn't provide it, unlike the kit zoom
lens) but since I never had such thing, I can't miss it :-) The unexpectedly
high speeds in P mode may help, though.
*The 20/1.7 works very well -- especially having into account that _most_ of
the time shoots wide open! Things soften a bit at the _left_ corner, and
there's some traces of chroma (longitudinal only; lateral colour is fully
corrected in camera) and coma, but stopping down (just a bit) corrects all
this. Overall, great performer with high flare resistance!

See a few (night) pics at <
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/sets/72157622854866532/>

 From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
>Carlos had sent it to me as soon as he uploaded - pulling my leg.

:-)

>He knows me well regarding these aspects of my personality, and
>frequently jokes about it.

I'm _that_ bad :-) :-)

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)