Re: [OM] IMG: Friday Flower from Jim N.

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Friday Flower from Jim N.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:05:38 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:
> Jim, That rose shot is outstanding!

I agree! Far the best of your flower series that I can recall.

> There is something about the E-1 images and how that camera captures flowers
> which I've not seen in other cameras --even within the E-thingy family.
> Probably the closest I've seen is from Joel's E-330.
>
> My wife is still able to spot an E-1 image a mile away when I show her
> pictures on the web that you all have taken.

I'm sure you are right. Those Kodak sensors likely do have something
special.

Still, I think there is another factor that makes this image stand out
from its predecessors. This is the first of the flower series with any
major red component in it that doesn't have a blown red channel. Whether
it's chance, different metering, different sensor system or, unlikely,
finally listening to Moose, there it is.

Flower petals have extremely fine, subtle variations in the surface,
both as texture and in color. Most, all that I remember, of the prior
shots, using E-510, have had areas where bright color goes flat and
often off color, compared to unblown areas, and the surface becomes
visually a flat plane, without natural variation.

With this image, that hasn't happened, and the glorious natural subtlety
of the petals comes through.

So Jim, see how the praise goes up when you don't blow the reds? :-)

A. Persistent Didactic Moose