Re: [OM] Oh dear, I did it.

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh dear, I did it.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 02:36:40 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I just read the DCResource review.

One of the great things about the web age is the variety of opinions
from knowledgeable people that are available. Even before Modern Photo
died, there were only two magazines here doing much serious testing of
equipment, and their space limitations limited how much detial they
could go into.

Jeff at DCR was free to take lots of extra space to be generous and show
detailed comparisons to another Canon and the Fuji F200EXR, even trying
sensible processing to further evaluate the difference.

Then the folks at I-R went to extra trouble to analyse the difference in
print quality between the G11 and the LX3, revealing something quite
important to a buyer/user in the process that they might never find for
themselves.

For DCR, the G11 is quite fast enough, for I-R, sort of sluggish, as for
the other DCR. Reading what they all have to say, especially if read
with some regularity, so one knows their ways of shooting and
prejudices, can geve a fairly rounded picture of a camera.

> Let us know how it goes.  If nothing else it will be nice to do away with the
> minor hassles of CHDK.  As to
> the lack of focal length, a 0.7x crop will give you the field of view of a
> 200mm lens and still leave you with a 5 MP image which is plenty good enough
> for an 8x10. Maybe you don't really, really need to carry that auxiliary lens
> most of the time.

I'm well aware of the crop option, and the improved pixel level IQ makes
it more practical. On the other hand, I'm cropping some 210 mm shots
now.  :-)   I actually browsed through images from several heavy
shooting sessions, to assess what I actually use. The obvious most used
FL was 35 mm eq., so the desirability of more WA is obvious. The most
concentrated use of 210 mm was for candids, where cropping is quite
practical. There were a fair number of large sessions where use of
anything over the long end of the G11 was very rare.

How much I end up using a teleconverter will be interesting. Before the
A650, I had an A710, and found a decent deal on both WA and tele
converters used. Still got 'em. It turns out that the Tele works pretty
well on the G11 lens.

LensMate, a  company that makes alternates to the cheap plastic tubes
Canon sells for mounting converter and macro lenses, publishes images
taken with various different camera/converter combos, to show what you
can expect with their products. although the "correct" TC for the
G10/11at first glance appears superior to the older one I have, the
magnifications are different, 1.4x for the current one and 1.75x for
mine. Downloading full pixel samples, downsizing the higher
magnification one and comparing them shows very similar resolution of
detail. The new one has better contrast, but that is easily corrected in PS.

As I already have the converter, I'll only be out $48 for a new tube to
try it out. 245 mm eq. sounds like fun!

Moose