Re: [OM] IMG: 80-Year-Old Trumpet Returns

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 80-Year-Old Trumpet Returns
From: JTimpe@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:23:02 +0000 (UTC)

>I have not spoken to her band teacher/director yet--I know I need to, but
>I'm not sure when to broach the subject.

>AG

AG;

As far as I'm concerned, the sooner the better.  Jumping from horn to horn and
mouthpiece to mouthpiece can be extrememly difficult.  Give her the benefit and
advantage of the good mouthpiece now, and all the time.  A poor horn/mouthpiece
can stifle, if not completely turn a young musician off to the whole thing
pretty quickly.  School horns can be notoriously poor instruments, too.

Most marching applications use mellophones, not French horns.  Easier to hold
and play while marching.  Same basic registration etc.