Re: [OM] Lumix 7-14, was: IMG: Angels-01 - Carlos

Subject: Re: [OM] Lumix 7-14, was: IMG: Angels-01 - Carlos
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:36:44 +0100
Hi Philippe, Dawid and all,

From: Philippe Amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
>I bought the 7-14 Oly because I missed (U)WAs on the 4/3.
>As you state it, long is no problem, I have successfully mounted Leica
>and Angenieux zooms (70-210).

Me too.

>But my widest was climited to the 14-50 delivered with the camera.

I'm worse on that... my GF1 came with the 20mm prime (40mm equiv.) The
widest I can go is the 15mm CV, indeed a superb lens, but f/4.5 becomes
rather poor for a 30mm equiv.

From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Of course, as you know Phillipe,
>the 7-14mm is a huge lens, heavy,

Yes, I know that -- and size is a concern to me. And I should add... the
cost of the Zuiko 7-14 + adapter* is about _twice_ the Lumix 7-14 :-(

*) I don't own (neither plan to) a non-micro 4/3 body.

>and one cannot mount optical filters
>in front of that fisheye-like bulbous front element.

Here the Panasonic has little advantage, it has no filter thread either. But
its front element has a moderate curvature -- could it be better protected
against flare?

>The Panasonic
>7-14mm, on the other hand, is tiny,

This is important to me.

>made mostly from plastic, and is
>built in line with most current micro-four-thirds zooms (and the
>M.Zuiko 17mm)

Or with the Lumix 20/1.7? I find this lens quite acceptable and reasonably
well built.

>in that it's optically a piece a piece of junk (in all
>aspects except resolution, which seems decent),

In my book, a lens with good resolution is a good lens. Contrast/sharpness
may be improved in post, but there's no way to get detail where it isn't.

>relying on software
>corrections for the rest.

Again, this could be OK for me. Geometric distortion and lateral colour are
the only optical aberrations which do not impair the sharp definition of the
image; correcting them in-camera is quite easy and effective -- just
demosaicing (sp?) with a different set of parameters...

So far, I have seen some MTF graphs for the Lumix 7-14 -- I know this only
tells half the story, but it's better than nothing. MTF values are very high
at most distances from the centre, but then drop sharply at the extreme
corners...

Since the 14mm equivalent is somewhat extreme (on film, I feel comfortable
with 18 & 21, but the 15mm CV is _way_ different!) maybe what I can get
instead of a 12 MP 7-14mm, is a sharp 9-18mm... covering 7.25 MP :-) Again,
a very acceptable compromise to me. YMMV.

Other option will be the future M.Zuiko 9-18, but that gets a full stop
slower at the "long" end... and I'll have to wait.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)