Re: [OM] question for Dr. Battery

Subject: Re: [OM] question for Dr. Battery
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:09:35 -0800
Sue Pearce wrote:
> What's the latest on rechargable AA batteries for shoe mount strobes? I went
> to the Thomas Dist. site and found a Maha charger and "low discharge" NiMH
> batteries that I think I remember from a previous discussion.
>
> But that was at least a year ago. What's the latest?

I've been very happy with the eneloops I bought and a combo of the
charger that came with some of them and a Lacrosse Technology BC-700U
charger. The Sanyo charger works fine, but with pairs only, and I use
them in some devices that use one or three cells. The Lacrosse charger
has full charge info and control individually for each of up to four cells.

Other makers, both name and generic brands, have come out with similar
sounding batteries. Whether they are as good as the eneloops, I don't
know. Better, I'd bet not. I haven't kept up, 'cause I'm not in the market.

I very seldom use flash, so I know little about how they fare in that
use. The one time I used a set in the 540EZ for an event, they breezed
through. They are certainly great for everything I've tried them in. I
think that the use where they wouldn't be best is really heavy flash use
where batteries can be fully charged the night before and maximum
flashes per charge is needed.

There, one would go with the highest capacity normal NiMh batteries
available. I read, although I'm not sure where in my initial research,
thta the highest capacity cells also have a fairly fast drop off in
usable capacity with heavy use. Still, out of the budget for a major pro
shoot, one could simply replace them regularly.

Moose