Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem

Subject: Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 01:56:03 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:
> NeatImage was the first thing I tried, it improves but I was not totally
> happy about the result, it left a trace of pattern when you look for it.

I agree, although in my test, it's very subtle. Is anyone not peering at
100%, looking for it, going to notice?

> Stronger NR may eliminate the pattern but I hate the lost of details and
> artificial look. I once do NI on almost all digital images but I found it
> look too smooth to my taste so later when I really need NI I leave some noise.

As I tried to show on the ISO 12,600 sample image, you really can't
leave some of the existing pattern noise, as that makes the pattern
noticeable. To avoid the plastic look, it's better to add noise without
a pattern. There I used the Noise filter in PS, but somewhere around
here, I have scans of blank film shots that may be used to add film
looking grain. Added grain helps mask the tracks of the pattern noise, too.

> Mask? what is mask,

A mask layer that restricts the NR effect to only parts of the image.
Pretty quick to do in PS and doesn't make the lighter parts look
unnatural at all, as they are completely unaffected.

> why I need that much work when other cheaper DSLRs don't require it.

You don't, unless there are other reasons to keep the 5D II. I was only
trying to suggest alternatives for correcting at least the images you
already have - perhaps even to make keeping the camera an option if you
otherwise like it.

You've gone through several DSLRs in the last few years, looking for
perfection. Maybe it doesn't exist and you may need to pick the one with
the least objectionable limitations?

On the other hand, if you keep up the search, perhaps your findings will
help us all.  :-)   You are certainly a tougher critic than any
reviewers I know of.

Moose